Tasty Tomato Chutney
Tomatoes are famously vigorous and even the least skilled gardener can be overwhelmed by an abundance of round red fruits as the summer comes to an end.
If you're getting a bit tired of salads and sauces, or have some under-ripe tomatoes to use, we'd recommend cooking them into this simple and delicious tomato chutney. It's especially delicious with a wedge of hard cheese.
What you will need
- 1kg ripe tomatoes
- 450g finely chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 roughly chopped eating apples
- 2 cloves
- Roughly 2cm grated fresh ginger
- 250g sultanas
- 200g light muscovado sugar
- 600ml red wine vinegar
- Empty sterilised jam jars
- Place all ingredients apart from the vinegar in a deep saucepan in low heat
- Give it a quick stir and add 300ml red wine vinegar
- Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring all the time until the sugar has dissolved
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 30-40 minutes until tender, stirring from time to time
- Stir in another 300ml red wine vinegar and simmer for a further 30 minutes until thickened. If the chutney is still runny let it simmer for another 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Put the chutney in your sterilised jars and set aside to cool.
- Seal the jars, they will keep up to 5 months. Refrigerate after opening.