Sweet chilli sauce
A sweet and spicy dip for a cucumber salad or dunking into with crispy spring rolls.
What you will need
- 7 red birds eye chillis
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3cm ginger
- 200g white sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Peel the garlic cloves and ginger and finely chop into small pieces. Cut the tops of the chillies and discard the seeds. Finely chop the chilli into small pieces.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the sugar, salt and chopped chillies, garlic and ginger. Do not heat just yet! Add the rice vinegar and lemon zest.
- Pour in 240ml of water and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Lower the heat and gently simmer for 10-12 minutes uncovered. The sauce will appear watery but will turn syrupy once cooled.
- Allow to cool. Store in a jar and keep refrigerated for up to a week.