Curry chilli pickle
Curry chilli is a classic Asian hot pepper and can be used both fresh or dried in many Indian dishes. Fruits can be picked when still green or wait to ripen to a vibrant red.
What you will need
- 4-5 green curry chillies
- 1 ½ tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50g mustard oil or vegetable oil
- Half a lemon, squeezed
- Chop the chillies into slices and place into a bowl.
- Dry fry the cumin, coriander and mustard seeds for 1-2 minutes. You can tell when they are ready because a strong aroma will be released.
- Grind the seeds together in a pestle and mortar until they make a fine powder. Add ½ tsp of turmeric and mix well.
- In a small saucepan, add the oil, lemon juice and salt. Tip in the ground spice mixture and gently warm for up to 2 minutes. Do not let it boil!
- Pour over the chillies and allow the flavours to develop. Once cool, store in a jar or air tight container in the fridge.