Crystallised Viola Flowers
Viola flowers grow in drifts of delicate petals in shades of soft lilac and rich plum. The flowers can be crystallised to beautifully decorate cakes and desserts.
What you will need
- Fresh Viola flowers
- 1 egg white
- Caster sugar
- Carefully remove the flowers from the stems and get rid of any green parts.
- Place the clean, dry flowers onto a flat surface.
- Beat the egg white to a light foam. Using a soft brush, apply the egg white all over the flowers.
- Sprinkle the caster sugar over the flowers straight away, ensuring the sugar sticks to the egg white.
- Leave to set for one hour. Once the flowers have dried they will be hard and brittle.
If the flowers are not to be used on the same day, store them carefully in an airtight container.